Executive Order No. 57
AUTHORIZING OWNERS AND/OR USERS OR UNREGISTERED OR UNAUTHORIZED WATER/SEWER CONNECTIONS, DEVICES OR INSTRUMENTS TO COMPLY WITHOUT PENALTY, UNDER THE “MWSS OPERATION LINIS” PROGRAM
WHEREAS, the national policy of this Administration is to institute reconciliatory measures for the purpose of promoting unity, coupled with discipline and the rule of law, among the Filipino people, as instruments to enhance the development and sustained growth of the national economy;
WHEREAS, in consonance with the prevailing thrust of the new Administration, the Metropolitan Waterworks and Sewerage System (MWSS) has initiated the “MWSS Operation Linis” program in its effort to provide better and efficient services to its customers, as well as to increase its monthly revenue for the further expansions and improvement of its existing facilities.
WHEREAS, with the fast-tracking of its capital projects, MWSS will be progressively increasing delivery of water supplies to its legitimate customers;
WHEREAS, reports have reached this Office that there is still a very large number of unregistered or unauthorized water/sewer service connections, devices and instruments and that this illicit practice has resulted not only in the loss of revenue to the MWSS, but also in depriving others of a fair share of precious water supply;
WHEREAS, in order to account for and collect all the revenues due the MWSS which can be used for the improvement of its services, to be fair to its paying customers, to discourage the profligate use of water and to effect a more equitable water supply distribution, all for the good of the greatest number, it is imperative to encourage the registration of all unregistered or unauthorized water/sewer connections and/or the removal of unregistered or unauthorized devices and instruments;
WHEREAS, it is the desire of the Government to afford the owners/users of unregistered or unauthorized water/sewer service connections, devices and instruments the chance to voluntarily come out and register their unauthorized connections, devices and instruments within the ambit of MWSS rules and regulations;
NOW, THEREFORE, I, FIDEL V. RAMOS, President of the Republic of the Philippines, by virtue of the powers vested in me by law, do hereby order:
(1) All owners/users of unbilled, unregistered and unauthorized installations of water and/or sewer service connections, or of devices which draw water without passing through MWSS-registered water meters, or of instruments which interfere with the normal and/or accurate functioning of MWSS-installed water meters and/or discharge sewage or wastewater into MWSS sewer mains without having applied and paid for the service, are hereby given a period of one (1) month effective after the date of the first publication of this Executive Order, within which to comply with the following requirements:
(a) the subject owners/users shall voluntarily disclose or report to the MWSS the existence and use of such unbilled, unauthorized or unregistered connections, devices and instruments mentioned herein;
(b) the subject owners/users shall apply with the MWSS for the registration of the unauthorized and unregistered connections, devices and instruments, and pay the corresponding registration fees therefor;
(c) the subject owners/users with 35 mm 0 and 32 mm 0 water service connection shall pay the unbilled water consumption for a period not to exceed six (6) months while owners/users whose water service connection are bigger than 32 mm 0 shall pay the unbilled water consumption for a period not to exceed one (1) year regardless of the actual date of the unauthorized installation or connection; and
(d) the subject owners/users shall comply with the MWSS rules and regulations issued to carry out this Executive Order.
In return, the MWSS shall guarantee in favor of the owners/users availing of this Executive Order the following:
(a) continued use and employment of the above-mentioned facilities;
(b) consumption in excess of six (6) months for 25 mm 0 and 32 mm 0 connections or one (1) year for bigger connections shall no longer be billed and paid; and
(c) confidentiality of information obtained by virtue of the availment of this Executive Order.
It is expressly understood, however, that this Executive Order shall cover only those unrecorded and unreported, unregistered or unauthorized water/sewer service connections, and those recorded and reported but not yet investigated and assessed, prior to the effectively hereof. This Executive Order shall also cover services installed or connected up to the present. Any water/sewer service connection or illegal device discovered to have been installed during or after the grace period of one (1) month shall immediately be cut-off or removed by the MWSS and the owner/users thereof shall be charged for violation of Presidential Decree No. 401, as amended by Batas Pambansa Blg. 876 and other applicable penal laws for theft of water in addition to payment of penalties to be prescribed in the MWSS implementing rules and regulations.
(2) After the one (1) month period allowable companies with the above-stated requirements, the MWSS shall undertake a house-to-house verification of all water and sewer services (including excavation of suspected services, if necessary) to discover and ferret out unauthorized or unregistered water or sewer service connections, devices and instruments, which were not voluntarily reported and registered during the one (1) month period.
For this purpose, the MWSS is hereby authorized to hire contractual census enumerators.
The MWSS may also opt to give rewards to those who support unauthorized or unregistered connections, devices and instruments under the existing MWSS rewards system.
(3) After the subject one (1)-month period, upon discovery of any unregistered and unauthorized water and/or sewer service installation or connection, device or instruments, such installations or connections, devices and instruments utilized in violation of MWSS rules and regulations shall immediately be disconnected, removed and abated, and shall not be reopened or reconnected. The existence of any unregistered or unauthorized water and/or sewer service installation or connection, device or instrument in the premises of the owner/user shall be prima facie evidence that the same was installed or connected by said owner/user. The MWSS shall then charge the owner/user involved with violation of Presidential Decree No. 401, as amended by Batas Pambansa Blg. 876, with theft of MWSS water; and/or any other offense punishable under existing penal laws.
(4) The MWSS shall immediately issue and promulgate the rules and regulations implementing this Executive Order.
(5) This Executive Order shall be published in at least three (3) leading newspapers of general circulation in Metro Manila, at least twice a week for a period of one (1) month from the issuance hereof.
(6) This Executive Order shall take effect after the first date of publication hereof.
Done in the City of Manila, this 15th day of February in the year of Our Lord, nineteen hundred and ninety-three.
What do you want to do now?
Go Back to the Top; Go back to art’s home page; Laugh or Be Entertained; Destroy Cartels and Monopolies; Invest or Find a Job; Check Software or a Computer; Check out the latest News; Look for a School; Greet a Friend; Dip Into Black Gold and be Electrified; Express Yourself; Relive the Past; Get Involved in the Law, Government, & Politics; Read Some Classics; Meet New People; Consult the laws of the Philippine energy sector; Philosophize; or Search.
This page is best viewed using Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher.
Last revised: April 04, 2010 01:52 PM.
Caveat Emptor: Owners of the sites included herein do not explicitly endorse this page.
Comments, suggestions, objections, or violent reactions?
Let me know.